This season is my favorite season of the year. It’s Football Season. Now is the time when I get to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, Fantasy Football. My Sundays are now consumed by my phone glued to my side with constant trips to the ESPN Fantasy app to check my scores are inevitable.
Here is something I haven’t thought of though- with all my clicks on the ESPN Fantasy app, how much of my self is being exposed? The app is free, but what is the cost of my privacy?
The Walt Disney Company Privacy Intro
A Deep Dive- ESPN Fantasy App Policy
What type of info is being collected?
- Registration Information- by creating an account, the app collects information relating to my name, country of residence, date of birth, email address, username etc.
- Transaction Information- if I were to make a purchase through the app the business may collect my postal address, payment information etc.
- Public Forum Information- Info I provide on pubic forms and public posts
- Information from messaging- By using the chat info within my leagues, my info is subject to being collected.
- Information from a third party
- Location information- the application can collect location information through my mobile device
- Activity information- My preference information, content views and how many times I am using the app can be tracked.
- Device Data- My mobile phone can be identified and collected.
- Still or video images- not relevant to ESPN Fantasy, but more for personal properties.
- Call recordings- if I call the ESPN Fantasy help line, my call can be monitored.
While this may seem like a lot of information being collected, this is pretty typical of what any other business or application will collect. This particular application does allow users to choose what information they want to share and can personalize their preferences.
Why is it being collected?
Where does the info go?
It is interesting as the writing style convinces users that the information collection is simply for the benefit of the user. However, the policy does indicate that “advertisers and third parties also may collect information about your activity on our sites and applications…” but does not indicate who the third parties are and what their purposes are.
Do they retain the information?